by Denise Daly-Stennis
Gene Austin Taylor Krishingner earned the title of Salutatorian and Seth Lauren Daly Stennis was named Valedictorian of the 94-member, 2012 graduating class at Forest Lake Academy (FLA), Apopka, Fla. Both graduated with honors in health careers, humanities, mathematics, and science. They have completed 27 college credits in Anatomy and Physiology, Statistics, Calculus, Psychology, and English Composition.
The Bible says, “A friend sticks closer than a brother.” When it was announced they were Valedictorian and Salutatorian of their senior class, they accompanied each other home to share the good news of success with their families. Impressed by the loyalty shown for each other, the following conversation ensued:
How did the two of you meet?
- Austin – “I first met Seth in the 7th grade at Forest Lake Education Center, Apopka, Fla.”
- Seth – “We got to know each other better our sophomore year at FLA.”
What are some things that you admire about each other?
- Austin – “I admire the abundance of care and loyalty that Seth expresses to those in his life, making himself available to those who need a warm smile or a listening ear. Also, I find Seth admirable in the way he handles stressful situations, never letting the moment get the best of him; instead, keeping a level head and focused mentality.”
- Seth – “I admire Austin’s honesty, patience, and steely perseverance. He’s not a person who would lie for any self gain or get riled up because of trivial matters. I would have to say that half the reason I even try, is to keep up with him.”
What were some things you enjoyed about attending an Adventist Christian school?
- Austin – “The myriad of activities and adventures my class participated in throughout my years at FLA left me with a sense of fellowship, camaraderie, and belonging. I was able to bond with my classmates and can take those connections with me into the rest of my life.”
- Seth – “I enjoyed going to beach vespers, going to Bible conference with my friends, being a part of the varsity soccer team, going on the senior class trip, and going to Senior Outbreak where our class became closer as a group.”
Do you have a favorite Bible text by which you’ve chosen to live?
- Austin – “I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen. When you come looking for me, you’ll find me.” Jeremiah 29:11-13 (MSG).
- Seth – “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV).
Envisioning their educational goals and future plans, both young men confirmed they aspire to become doctors: Austin, a cardiothoracic surgeon; and Seth, a general surgeon. This fall, they began attending Southern Adventist University in Collegedale, Tenn.